India offers various kinds of visas, depending on the purpose of visit. Student visa is a visa specifically for the students who desire to come to India for the purpose of education. Student Visas are issued for the duration of the academic course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less, on the basis of letters of admission from Universities/recognised educational institutions in India. The children of NRIs and PIOs cardholders need not procure a student visa.
Indian Missions/Posts grant a student visa for a period of five years or for the duration of the course of study, whichever is less, to the below:
· To foreigner students coming to India to pursue regular and full time academic studies in India.
· For foreigner students coming for Industrial training, summer project and internship.
· Provisional student visa valid for six months for the students exploring admission or taking admission tests.
· Applicant should possess the proof of admission to a full time regular academic course in a reputed/recognized educational institution in India and evidence of financial support.
· Spouse and dependent family members accompanying the applicant must apply for an Entry Visa (Not Tourist Visa. Its termination date will coincide with the period of the principal Visa holder.
The application form and the procedure for applying for an Indian Visa can be found at https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/.
To view the Indian Embassy/ Consulate in your country, please visit http://goidirectory.gov.in/country_wise_view.php?ct=I001
· Passport with 6 month validity
· Passport size photographs
· Photo copy of passport
· Proof of residential address
· Letter of Financial Support
· Copy of online filled form
· University admission letter
· University details
Students who do not have confirmatory letters of admission from educational institutions are issued Provisional Student Visa by the Indian Missions, on the basis of provisional letters of admissions. As the Provisional Student Visa is valid only for 3 months, your admission needs to be confirmed within these three months.
The fee structure depends on the nationality of the passport holder and type/duration of visa applied. It ranges from $13 to $118. Please check with the Indian embassy in your country for exact visa fees.
1. If you are on Government of India scholarship, the respective Indian Missions would be advised by ICCR to issue a regular student visa after your admission in an Indian university is confirmed.
2. Your passport should be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of intended departure.